Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Cartoons and Catharsis

     Everybody in the operating room where I work has been having fun for the past several weeks with a short cartoon film depicting an interaction between an orthopedic resident and an anesthesia resident.



     At the end of the movie, there's a short text notice that says something like "If you can type, you can make a movie."  It took a while for this to sink in.  I can type.  I can make a movie.
     Are there any painful areas in my life that I might want to dramatize, lampoon, satirize, over-draw, and generally distort to make myself look good?  Well, perhaps.
     So I took some early dialogue from my journals, distorted it appropriately, added some overblown fictional dialogue at the end, and voila:



     Wow, was that fun!!!  And cathartic, too.  And fictional.  This fictional story has its origin in an actual conversation (a series of them, actually) but has been subjected to the vicissitudes of scriptwriting and thus bears only a superficial resemblance to what really would have been recorded on, say, a security video.
     Posting this video acknowledges that turnabout is fair play, and that anyone else can submit a public video in which I'm lampooned.  Let the play begin...

[Note added 3/5/11: As a condition of our divorce agreement reached yesterday, I'm taking down all the video cartoons related to divorce.  It's part of letting the whole process go and moving on with our lives.  Look for more videos later about different subjects.  I enjoyed the process.]

No comments:

Post a Comment